Monday, April 2, 2007

My reaction on "The Star"

For the most part I understood the main gist of the story. Discussing it further in class helped to clear up some things that I didn't initially understand. I'm not surprised if many people take offense to this story: It is questioning the fact whether God exists or not. If this were a true story, I'm sure you'd find people questioning their faith like the Jesuit Priest. Then again, I also believe this controvery would be a true test of their faith. I'm not going to lie, I thought twice about this controversy. I guess you could say I questioned my own faith. I keep reminding myself that this is only science fiction, although I find this story to be very compelling and persuasive. I believe in God, but I don't take religion very seriously. I should take it more seriously though. Maybe if I were more educated about religion, my reaction towards this story would be completely different. I do believe everything happens for a reason though. The bottom line is to stand up for what you believe in and take pride in it. If you strongly believe in something, you will strive to do your best and never give up.

2 comments:

mISTERnAIL said...

kristen,
i am intrigued by your post. it seems that you have thought (at least a little) about the nature of your own faith. but how would you describe your faith? what do you mean by "i don't take religion very seriously"--for you, does god=religion? is it possible to believe in god and not follow any particular religion? the end of your post was a little vague. it sounded more like a motivational speech than the end of a post on faith. perhaps you could explain a little more.

George Stovall said...

I liked your post, i defantely felt the same way about if people felt offended or not about a story doubting a religion or w/e... Anyways it made me think if if i would of been offended if i was really into that kind of thing.